ALBUM REVIEW: KELIS WAS HERE - KELIS

Review written by Toya
Leak date: 15th August 2006

This CD is kind of like a sandwich packed in with a wide assorted filling. 17 diversified tracks comprises of disco-influences (Weekend) retro-rock/pop (Til The Wheels Fall Off, I Don't Think So), electro-guitar sounds (Fuck Them Bitches), Hip Hop head-boppers (Bossy, Ah Shit, Blindfold Me), R&B Rhythms (What's That Right There, Living Proof, Trilogy) and even Salsa vibes (Have A Nice Day). Again, Kelis is another singer with an under-whelming voice which leaves little to be desired. However, she puts in everything that her voice will allow her to carry, especially in the three soft slow jamz that wonderfully grace this project (Goodbyes, Circus, Appreciate Me). So I think the majority of this album was pure hotness. I wasn't feeling the rockier/alternative vibes that the album gave out but the upbeat joints are pretty stunning. The good thing is that there is something for everybody and you don't even have to like her on an artistic level.

Rating: 3/5

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Toya! ^^ I regularly visit your blog because of your fantastic reviews! It's a pleasure to read them, because they're straight and hit the nail on its head!

Anonymous said...

My favorites are: Circus & Trilogy & Till the Wheels Fall Off - I really appreciate the Changes of Kelis.

I found 20 trakcs on the promo CD; called : 19-About to hate me; 20-Emergancey - I love it all, especially Vocoder on "Weekend" :)

"Blindfold Me" / "Sexy back" (by justin & neptunes) are quiet the same exiting underground sounds :D


"By By"

Toya said...

u welcome

Anonymous said...

I have seen Kelis live, and though her voice is fading (POSSIBLY BECAUSE SHE SMOKES), she can sing with much greater range than she has ever recorded. She was a member of the Harlem Girls Choir after all. Although she rarely lets it be seen, she is actually a very powerfull singer. If you listen to Kaleidoscope, you can kinda tell. I agree about the album, but I don't believe her voice to be under-whelming.

Anonymous said...

First let me say....Toya I absolutely love your blog. I don't agree with the the 3/5 rating you gave Kelis (or whoever) because she just gives sooo much variety, and there is always a message in her songs. The girl is HOT and the album is too, I 'll give it a 4/5!

Kelis Fan 4ever...Holla!