ALBUM REVIEW: IDLEWILD - OUTKAST

Album Review, written by Toya
Leak date: 13th August 2006

I love the new Outkast album from the bluesy old-style beats, to the electro-guitar and moody piano instrumentals, to the jazzy soulful throwbacks, to Andre's unique (and sexy) voice and the comedic interludes which were highly entertaining. The album is getting mixed reviews everywhere. I've seen it get trashed and I've seen it get praised so I guess it all depends on ones personalised tastes. This shows that you can't read a review and base your decision on a review because they are just somebody elses opinions. If you want reasurrance use your own ears to hear it for yourself at their
myspace page. Now let's talk humour. I think the song When I Look In Your Eyes and Makes No Sense At All were breathtakingly hilarious. Tracks like Call The Law are vibrant upbeat anthems that are well polished. I like the female melt-down in that song which nicely accentuates the hippy beat. I think that is one of my favourite stand out tracks. I was also feeling the hell out of the highly Hip Hop Buggface. Another crazy but great track is In Your Dreams. I like that one very much. The whole album doesn't sound like anything that's out right now. Pure old-skool jams with a reflection of that signature Outkast style. Mid-section part of the album is reflected by funktastic mid-tempo's and mellowed down music (Mutron Angel, Peaches, N2U) and distinguished female vocal collaborations in the contributions of Wild Peach and Macy Gray (Greatest Show on Earth). Hollywood Divorce would be a big hit when that occurs everyday and we like to read about it but the beat to that is pretty damn solid. I didn't think the album would entice me like this because their current single Morris Brown didn't really impress me despite a colourful video to represent it. OK, so parts of it had me rolling my eyes in frustration. However, the production on this CD was overall innovative and effective. This was a very interesting album, and one that I can listen to over and over.

Rating 3/5

1 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Outkast's Idlewild is an innovative and interesting album. I absolutely love it, but I do agree that it depends on one's musical taste. It is definitely a standout album. My favorite track is Hollywood Divorce. I will definitely buy this album when released and check out Idlewild the movie in theaters.