FRIDAY'S R&B SCOOP: A CIARA EXCLUSIVE INCLUDED!

FASHION

Yesterday in London, Beyonce attends the Emporio Armani's One Night Only Fashion show and looked totally bootylicious.

EVENTS

After winning her courtcase, Ashanti leaves a happier woman.

PROMO

Here are the official album cover winners for Janet's 20 Y.O. These covers which were designed by four fans will be distributed in the first million.

MUSIC

Promise - Ciara [download: AOL Rip]
And finally, here's the moment we've all been waiting for! Ciara's first single Promise taken from new album Ciara: The Evolution! AOL First Listen, so this download has the tag all over it but the song is fierce! Not as upbeat as expected but it's smooth, sexy and the beat is simply hypnotic. It has that Aaliyah vibe because if she were here I could definetely see her singing this! Ciara is back and SHE'S DEFINETELY BACK WITH A VENGENCE!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mario Vasquez - Mario Vasquez
This album is my cake and custard with the cherries on top, packed with heartfelt ballads, old-skool R&B, radio-friendly pop and appealing upbeat hard-hitting R&B along with sweet soothing melodies. All of this is accompanied by a highly calibre vocal performance which makes the album a stand-out. He just puts his heart and soul into every track. I think any hardcore fan like myself will enjoy this. It's pretty refreshing because most American Idol singers who put out debut albums tend to do a lot of covers, and it doesn't really cement them as a respectable artist especially with a debut. Usually, they're encouraged to sing songs that got them the well-due respect on the show. For example, Fantasia blew everyone away with her rendition of Summertime and so it appeared on her debut album (Fantasia's new album is scheduled for a 28th November release). I would definitely pay money for this, because I think this is an outstanding piece of work. I especially liked his little dancehall flow in the chorus of 4 The 1. Gallery is an amazing track and my other standouts are One Shot, We Gon Last, Just A Friend and We Supposed To Be. Definitely an album worth checking out.

Rating: 4/5

Undiscovered - Brooke Hogan
Gimmick album? Daddy freeloader? The Paris Hilton of music? I get it now. She's blonde with some slight edge and appeal. She's rebellious. She does what she likes. Because of who daddy is, she gets what she wants without even trying. Maybe she didn't need to sing to a record exec. They probably signed her on the dot because of who she is. See, being partially attractive with Hulk Hogan as a father is every record label's dream! I can't front because the music is catchy with an edgy undertone spliced with reggae influences (Heaven Baby), retro-pop (All About Me), R&B street vibes (Next Time, My Number, Beautiful Transformation), dance beats (Incognito) latin influences (Dance Alone), contemporary pop (Low Rider Jeans) and laidback (Letting Go). So the album pretty much covers everything. The album highly exudes much repetitiveness. It's not refreshing and it certainly doesn't separate her from her other contemporaries. I've heard an album like this many times before and catchy hooks can only get you so far especially if you lack any kind of vocal strength (she sounds like a more polished J.Lo on a lot of the tracks and that's not saying much).
~
Rating: 2.5/5

15 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm mad you compared Ciara's new song to something of Aaliyah's when it's anything BUT. I'm far from an Aaliyah fan. But come on. The song is boring as hell. It does not explore like it should , may I add she does not sound good. I hope this is not the end of her career. Because on this song along I'm not looking forward to her cd.

Anonymous said...

I guess you don't know anything about Brooke Hogan. She worked hard for her record deal. It was evidents on her families television show. She had a deal before this one and things didn't work out. She even cried a few times on the show, because she felt like things would never take off with her music career. Their father didn't try to spoil them neither, so don't judge someone's life unless you've truly saw them live it.

Anonymous said...

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
i've seen better covers 4 jans new CD!!!!!
WTF?
those are not the best. ;(

Random J said...

[On Ciara...]
"Promise" is bangin'. I love this song. It showcases her so much better than those "1,2 step" style songs. I just hope Jazze Pha doesn't ruin her album with all those kinda tracks. I know she won alot people over with "Like you" (with Bow Wow) 'cos it showed she could hold a tune and sound sexy.

The song reminds me of an offcut from "Destiny Fulfilled" - like a mash of "Cater 2 u" and "T-Shirt"

I am SO feelin' this song. HOT track! A hot slow jam like this is long overdue. Polow da Don killed it with the beat.

[On Brooke...]
The album is weak. The only good track on the album is "For a moment" - that song is hot, but it would've been SUPER HOT in the hands of somebody else. Still, she sounds nice on it in places. The backing vocals are nice.

She shoulda stuck with a particular style, because it just sounds like a Paris' album and many of the tracks just don't work for Brooke.

She has an alright voice. With a bit more time and the right style, she could sound pretty hot. I think "For a moment" is the best showcase of her personally.

[On Janet covers...]
I think the first 3 are shit. I only like the last one. That's pretty decent. Though I don't like the Janet image on her top. All of 'em are obvious old images though.

This...
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l39/toyasworld07/20promo2.jpg

or this...
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l39/toyasworld07/20promo.jpg

...Shoulda been contenders for album covers. Not relegated to inlay images. She looks HOT in both these pics. Especially the 1st one. Even without JANET 20 Y.O on 'em, they'd look hot as covers.

Toya said...

Well Tasia, excuuuuse me for not giving a shit. The album is not all that.

I agree with J and Kitty. I have seen MUCH better designs than those.

Toya said...

Lovin, that's how I feel. It sounds like something from Aliyah's One In A Million fame. The song is hot to me and seems to be getting good reviews everywhere.

Toya said...

*Aaliyah*

Anonymous said...

I AINT FEELIN CIARA'S NEW SONG BY NOW, I WAS EXPECTIN A CLUB BANGER. IT SEEMS THIS YEAR THE ONLY 2 SINGERS THAT COULD REINVENT THEIRSELVES IN A GOOD WAY IS CHRISTINA AGUILERA AND JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE, ALL THE REST ARE KINDA DISSAPOINTINGS. I GOTTA HEAR CIARA'S NEW ALBUM THO, SO I MITE BE WRONG, BUT BY NOW SHE LOOKS THE SAME WAY BEYONCE'S CARREER TURNED OUT TO BE...SUCH A QUICK DOWNHILL

Anonymous said...

Wow! I have seen many poor reviews of the song, on a popular message boards, too. I've seen less than a handful of positive reviews.

Anonymous said...

The new Ciara is kinda weak to me! She coulda taken a slower song like this and turned it out with a little more powerful vocals! She sounds exactly the same or worse than she did on the first album... I don't know what to say.. It def didn't have to be a club banger, but on songs like "The Title" "And I", and even unreleased songs like "Insecure" she had a much better vocal performance. I mean dancin can't always save you CiCi!!!!!!

That bein said, the song is o.k. But as the FIRST single from an album called "The Evolution"? NO, NO, NO!!!!!!!


Oh, and I'm a huge Aaliyah fan, and I actually did think about "Rock Da Boat" whil I was listening to this. But this is far from that quality..

Random J said...

I disagree. I think Ciara's new song is banging! I think it's one of the hottest single releases to drop over the past couple of months. Amongst all the "club" and uptempo tracks which have been dropping as of late, it's a breath of fresh air to have something so smooth and sexy drop from a mainstream artist. I felt the same way when JoJo dropped "Too little, too late". It stood out because it was different to what other artists were putting out at the time - which (again) were just uptempo, dance, club tracks.

I think it's an evolution in the sense that it's not what many would deem a "typical" Ciara release.

"Goodies", "1, 2 step", "Oh" and "Get up" all bear similarities and don't show case her in the best light.

I loved "Other chicks" from her 1st album, which had this similar, slow sexy vibe. So I give "Promise" a thumbs up.

I agree her voice isn't brilliant. But I still like how she sounds on it and the backing vovals and harmonies sound nice over this KILLER Polow Da Don beat.

Anonymous said...

On onother blog I read that Brooke's cd was good. I am digging Ciara's new song she might not be the best vocalist but she's doing something right to keep making hits.

WTF? Beyonce's career downhill. Never. Hot ass album. In some places the reviews were even higher than Futuresex... Plus she had the highest debut for any woman this year and the second highest first week sales. Career downhill, where in the hell did you get that from?

Anonymous said...

I am not liking the Ciara single, I can see her murdering those notes live, if she can barely hit them in the studio then God help us unplugged. Compared to Aaliyah is a horrific statement and comparison, I loved Ciara's first cd and singles but this one is kinda weak. Its more of a filler not single material. Love the updates Toya thanks girlie! To all the haters and irrelevant comments like Kelis said "Fuck Them Bitches" lol. ::Smooches::

Anonymous said...

Nope Mary J Blige sold 729,000 1st week...thats way more than Beyonce.

Anonymous said...

Ciara vocal performance is so weak ,and this sng is kind of like a throw back Janet Jackson Damita Jo. The song is horrible ,and people will actually like it because she will dance in the video which always saves her. Beyonce comes with ht vocal performance ,and everyone hates on her. That girl can blow out all of the people in her generation thats my opinion. Ciara song gets an 2/5