MARIAH: TALKS ABOUT HER NEW ALBUM....

Mariah Daily has put up the whole entire interview that Mariah Carey did with Interview magazine, including all the scans that went with it. The interview is one of the most insightful interviews that Mariah has done since her Essence interview back in 2005. It's a really good read and you should check out the site to read it. To read the whole interview, head on over to Mariah Daily. But my interest is the album, so here are a couple of extracts where she addresses the new album, and here are a couple of scans from the photoshoot:


IS: Give us a sneak preview. What can you tell us about the new music?
MC: It's a fun record - it's been my obsession. Look, to me, that I'm able to do what I love for a living is a gift from God. I could be doing something I hate every day. Yes, sometimes it's tough because I've got to sleep 15 hours to sing the way I want to. It's not easy because my vocal chords are different than most people's. But that aside, this album has been so much fun because I'm writing with a lot different people but mainly a lot of rappers and I will bring something to the table that they wouldn't have and vice versa.

IS: I know you're working again with Jermaine Dupri. Who else?
MC: Swiss Beats and I have been working together. He was really young when I first met him and now he's got all these Warhols - I'm like, This dude is rich! He's great. I'm really excited about a couple of songs we've done together.

IS: Your love of rap was a secret once.
MC: Yes. People think I just started experimenting with hip-hop and working with rappers when I worked on Butterfly album [1997] and that I just started working with whoever they saw me hanging out with, be it Q-Tip or Puffy or whoever, but they don't realize that I've been a fan of hip-hop and using hip-hop loops forever - I had to sneak it when I was married and when I was in that system. The masses were not up on hip-hop, but ever since I can remember I was into rap - like the Sugarhill Gang is one of the first records I ever bought, and then like Grandmaster Flash. I grew up with hip-hop.

IS: Is there a general theme to the new album?
MC: I sat in the hot tub the other night playing some songs for some friends and one of them felt that it was a very pro-woman kind of thing. And I was like, "You know what, I didn't do that intentionally." It is not that the songs are male-bashing, but she felt that it was very empowered-woman moment. I love to be able to play things for people who can listen to something rough. When I'm playing something for someone from the record company I need to perfect it a little bit more.

0 Comments: