LIL MO: PAIN & PAPER [ALBUM REVIEW]....

The Godmother of Hip-Hop and R&B is back with a brand new album (Pain & Paper) and new single (Sumtimes I). Lil Mo's album was released yesterday and it is barricaded with collaborated contributions from Jim Jones, Trina, Da Brat and of course Fabolous amongst others. The production also includes one of my favourite R&B producers Bryan Michael Cox. I so enjoyed her debut Based On A True Story. It was hot. But I didn't like her last album Meet The Girl Next Door. This album, has me going back to liking mode again. Check out my album review:



This album is quite extraordinary. I knew that it was going to pack some punch and attitude after reading that Sister 2 Sister interview a couple of months ago. In that interview, after putting a gun to her husband's head (due to his countless cheating) they got back together. Now they've split up again. Mo only had his second daughter not too long before the reconciliation. So after all the mess, being a sucker for drama, I was looking forwards to her 3rd studio album because I knew that it would be sentimental.

When an artist goes through trying times it makes for good CD material (ala Mary J Blige). This definitely shows in tracks like Heartbeat, Broken Heart and Husband. The raw emotion in her messages could be heard as the duped wife still hurting but immense anger continuing to devour her. The ballads are really intensifying. This album was definitely an embodiment of sheer therapy. Still, you can't blame a woman for wanting to get shit off her chest.

I was looking for something hardcore, a true R&B album and it didn't disappoint in that aspect. My only problem with the album is that this formula ALMOST carried on throughout most of the CD so after a while, it got, well, tedious. I know the album is called "Pain and Paper" but still, I just couldn't help but feel I was listening to one long song instead of an actual album, though things do change towards the end.

I wasn't really feeling her upbeat joints that much. But her mid-tempo's and slow jams were quite good. I've heard a lot better from her in the past though. But the Mo Youngin track about having a 21-year-old shorty despite the 7 year age difference was quite refreshing. I dug that. Other than the countless "you played me" anthems, the beats were nice, the songs were well sung and the production was neat. Definitely an album worth checking out. Check out her new video after the cut.


SUMTIMES I - LIL MO FEAT JIM JONES

0 Comments: