THE WORLD MUSIC AWARDS 2006


Last night, Michael Jackson angered his fans by pulling out of his Thriller performance in which he was meant to be performing with R&B singer Chris Brown. Fans expected MJ to recreate the 1982 hit, performing live in London for the first time in nine years. But MJ did not turn up at rehearsals and told journalists when he arrived at the Earls Court venue that reports he would sing were "a misunderstanding". I was absolutely shocked when Chris Brown ended up doing the performance all by himself in honour of the King of Pop. Like I reported he sang his massive charity hit We Are The World but he ended up leaving most of the singing to a backing gospel choir and could only manage a few lines as he struggled through his high notes. I'm sad to report that MJ did not leave the venue as a man on a mission to rule the world. Instead, he left a broken man, a fallen superstar who could not recuperate the magical performances that most young people like myself grew up to love him for. He was presented with a special award that night.



The diamond Award was created to honour those incredibly successful recording artists who have sold over 100 million albums during their musical career and yesterday night at the World Music Awards, Michael Jackson was honoured. I'm going to use this post to add that my girl Mariah Carey was also once honoured with this prestigious Award. His lackluster performance may possibly have denounced any possible chances of a successful comeback. I could be wrong though. Still, the fans were grateful just to be breathing the same air as their idol (hahaha) and they cheered him on with delightful screams and applaud. Just imagine what would've happened to him if he attempted to dance with the aggression he is poised for. The man would have a heart attack on stage. Judging by these latest pictures, the guy has been looking really weak and frail lately. You can knock him over with a feather and let's face it folks, MJ is not the performer he once was.

Some of these fans do not play. I was watching the Breakfast news this morning about the huge upset regarding Michael Jackson's performance or lack of. Some of the fans paid £1,000 for a ticket just to see their idol. A lot of them were saying they weren't upset about last night because they got to see their idol in the flesh so therefore they felt that their small fortunes were well spent. We are talking 5 months rent money here. These MJ fanatics do not joke, possibly some of the craziest fans you'll ever meet.

When he performed with N-Sync during the end of their "Pop" performance at the 2002 VMA's and I saw how tired and exhausted he was after dancing on the stage for just 10 seconds, I just knew it was curtains for his career. Nevertheless, he was very appreciative of his Award: "I am greatly humbled by this award," said Jackson, who wore his jet black lacefront wig long and straight. "It was my dream that Thriller would be the biggest-selling album ever ... and God has answered my prayers," he added. But his performance was critically torn apart by music critics with the deputy editor of Q music magazine doubting a successful comeback. "I would say there's very little chance of him coming back from where he is," said Gareth Grundy "I think people will always be fascinated by the freak show, and that's what's going on," he said. "I would categorise him as a celebrity as opposed to an artist."




Not to worry though as the show did have its highlights. R&B beauties Beyonce and Rihanna stole the show with their beauty and gorgeous glimmering outfits. Rihanna wore a striking strapless purple gown as she sang her smash hit Unfaithful, but despite not winning any awards, she was a happy gal. Beyonce also performed and must've changed her outfit like five times that night. Nevertheless, she looked absolutely stunning. Bee won the Award for Best R&B Artist. I see that she did the same militaty/motor choreography that she did at this years VMA's. The same routine was also used at her Destiny Fulfilled concert with Destiny's Child.
~

Word has it that Rihanna got booed during her performance of Unfaithful. I hope it's not true. I know she's a poor singer but she has worked really hard to get as far as she has. I only managed to see short previews of the performances and the show probably won't air until next week. Shucks. Just needed to add how handsome Chris Brown is. That boy can get it every day of the week. A couple more months before he hits 18 ladies! See, he needs to hook up with my old ass, he'd have been broken into a REAL man by now! Hell, I wonder if he's still a virgin *lol* Probably not.



Nelly Furtado performed and won a gong for Best Pop/Rock Artist, which I found rather strange considering that her sound has moved into the urban transition as of late. I do not know when the show airs. Hopefully, some time next week. As soon as I find out I'll let ya'll know.


Just before Beyonce flew off to London, it seemed she didn't want to leave Jay-Z's side. You can tell this heffa is madly in love with her jigga but everytime she moves towards him in a display of affection, he has this look as if to say "please ease up". He also looks uncomfortable. There is nothing wrong in returning the display of affection Jay-Z. You are with a woman that millions of men around the world would die to be with. Consider yourself a lucky man and just enjoy it while it lasts. Well, speaking of Beyonce, here are the Dream Girls scans from Ebony magazine, courtesy of BeyonceWorld.


Click on thumbnails to read the article. I was also wondering if any Toya's World readers actually saw the movie yet. I intend to see it when it opens over here but according to several sources, the movie is not really Oscar-worthy.
~


And courtesy of JustJared, here are the scans for Jennifer Lopez's feature for Harper Bazaar, needing to add that these are beautiful.

KEVIN'S MESSAGE TO BRITNEY ... LOLOLOLOZ!!!

It reads: "Today I'm a free man. Ladies look out, K.Federline. Fuck a wife. Give me my kids bitch!" Sounds like he's hurt but he's acting like a twat. If Britney were to offer him the proposition of trying to make their marriage work for the last time, he'd be eating out of her hands like a starved dog who just caught sight of a doggy snack. I am sure he has sat down and pondered on if he did things differently, would this have happened? Too late for "ifs" now. He messed up! Now that his soon-to-be ex-wife has cut off all his credit cards, the K-Fed resorts to personal attacks.


Yesterday, Chilli and Akon made an appearance on TRL!



Will Smith, his wife Jada and son attended the "The Pursuit of Happyness" Press Conference. Will's youngest son is such a cutie!


Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony arrive in Rome for Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes' wedding. Since when were they friends with Tom and Kate?

APPEARANCES ... HALLE BERRY & NAOMI CAMPBELL



Why is Naomi Campbell a supermodel? I have NEVER considered this woman to be attractive except for the fact that she has a gorgeous facial bone structure but she's not a beauty to me, just someone who scrubs up well. Her mama Valerie has her beat. That woman looks amazing and to say she has battled cancer as well. She was looking a right mess when she attended court for physically attacking her drug therapist this week. I see those shouldier-lenngh bobs/wigs are back in fashion amongst todays celebrities.

Halle Berry is in luuurve ....


Halle was all loved up on her man Gabriel when they attended a Hennessy Cognac event in which an Exclusive Tasting at Café Fuego was hosted - November 14, 2006.

I am listening to Nivea's new album Animalistic which leaked yesterday afternoon and I don't think it packs heat, unlike her last album Complicated and her debut, two R&B albums I thoroughly enjoyed. I still cannot believe she went ahead and released this without promotion. She's not insatiable. She doesn't have a big enough fan base to do that. It's not like the album is that good. Standard at best but not brilliant. Hell, such R&B drivel shouldn't even be unleashed to an unsuspecting avid R&B listener like myself. The album comprises of hard biting up-tempo's but it leaves little to be desired and she rarely switches. So in a way I was disappointed because after hearing the snippets, I thought it was going to be another hot one. The first part of the album plays on like one long song, but very dance-floor proficient I must add. So if that's what you like you may enjoy this but not one track on here stands out and some of the music and lyrics are just lame. If I were to rate this on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 4 and even then I consider that to be generous but with an album title like Animalistic, I guess you couldn't really have high expectations. The album just left me really confused. It's not worth running to the store for. Buy Tamia's Between Friends and enjoy the ultimate R&B experience because this is what an outstanding R&B album should sound like and if you don't have her debut, cop that as well!

0 Comments: