INTRODUCING NEW DEF JAM ARTIST

Meet Sterling. The new fresh R&B talent who was in a small bidding war but ended up signing a contract with Def Jam, one of the most successful urban labels out there. His contract also sees him working with the likes of Jay-Z and LA Reid. The article that I read says he hadn't intended to carve out a career in being an artist but he wanted to work behind the scenes as a songwriter. He was practically writing for other artists but it wasn't until Teddy Bishop heard him singing over some beats, that he decided Sterling was too good to stay in the background. Teddy Bishop (who has worked with Jagged Edge, Aaliyah, Toni Braxton, Usher and a couple of others in the business) had vowed to get him the hook-up and things started from there basically. He describes his sound as an amalgamation of Jaheim, Tyrese and Usher with his unique spin. He has also been compared to Usher and Chris Brown and whilst he admires both artists, he believes he's different because he has his own swagger and writes from personal experiences:

"I got this song called 'Best Friend' on my album produced by Adonis. We wrote the song together and it's basically about how I was with this girl -- true story -- and we were in a relationship for a while and things didn't work out, so we broke up. So I saw her shortly afterwards and I still had feelings for her but I noticed a change in her. This was shortly after we had broken up, maybe a month or two. I noticed she looked like she was expecting child. So I asked her, 'yo, you pregnant?' And she was like, 'yeah'. So, me just breaking up with her a month or two ago, I'm like, 'you didn't tell me you're pregnant? How we gonna do this? How we gonna work it out?' And it turns out it wasn't mine; it was my best friend's baby. That was something crazy that happened in my life, but I wrote a great song out of it. That's just an example of the things that you'll get from my album, all true experiences".

Well, that's just fucked up but I can understand why he wrote about it. Whenever I have bad experiences, I write poetry because it helps instead of keeping it bottled up inside, but once you put pen to paper and let it all out, you just feel released from the depression. You feel exonerated simply because you addressed it in some way and not tried to block it, which is a lot worse in my opinion. Sterling's as-yet-untitled debut album is expected to drop in the early quarter of 2007 so I quite look forwards to that. The album will include production from Oak, a new talent coming out of Atlanta, Bryan Michael Cox, Teddy Bishop (executive producer), Rodney Jerkins, the Corner Boys, Adonis, and Carvin and Ivan and the Home Cooked staff out of Philly. The first single, which will impact radio in the coming weeks, is called "Jump Off", which features Sean Paul and the Young Bloodz. Oh, and if things don't work out, he can always go back to his song-writing. Other new budding talent to check out:

The Voice ... Ish
Broken Dolls
Koser
Tramayne

Please leave your feedback on their pages because they value your opinions more than anything. Thanks.

0 Comments: