THURSDAY'S R&B GRIND ...

I am still laughing that Beyonce will not be up for an Oscar due to the downtrodden rules of only three writers being allowed to be nominated for her song Listen. Apparently, the Oscars' songwriting branch has decided to qualify Henry Krieger, Anne Preven and Scott Cutler. I know I shouldn't laugh at somebody elses misfortunes but we all know that Beyonce does not stand a chance in winning the Oscar for Best Actress. Not when she is up against more credible actresses like Annette Bening and Meryl Streep. The news didn't really come as a shock because when you open up the booklet to ANY Beyonce CD, you will see ten other co-writers to one song.



Using Beyonce's own words when she was bitter at Letoya Luckett and Latavia Roberson for receiving a writing credit for Say My Name back in 2000 for which they won a Grammy - writing one or two words does NOT make you a writer. I guess her words have come back to haunt her because if she contributed more than 50% towards the writing process, her name would NOT have been removed and she'd have been up for the running to win an Oscar. With some writers, they SELL their rights to a song they wrote so some artists can take credibility for the song even IF they didn't write it or only contributed one word and I think this is the case with Beyonce. She adds TWO words to songs just so that she can get a writing credit. You have to admit, the song is beautifully written. Plus, Beyonce did a great job with the emotion of the song therefore I personally feel that it does deserve the accolade. Watch Beyonce beat bits of the dead horse in her head when her song wins an Oscar. I think I'll be screaming in hysterical laughter in the next couple of weeks. Well, queen of the magazine features herself has done yet another spread and this time it's for British GQ, the February 2007 edition:






Why would anyone think that arching your back and tilting your ass face up in the air is cute? Men may think it's sexy because it savours their sexual thoughts as to what they'd do if they came home and found Beyonce in that position wearing her freekum dress. It's all reminding me of the Vibe cover that Brandy did when she was about to drop with Aphrodisiac. Not classy at all.

A chick who did look classy was the stunning Christina Milian when she hit up The Ivy this week:



Does this chick not know how to take a bad picture? I am not really feeling the boots though, they look like they come from Gwen Stefani's LAMB lining to me.

Today, Justin Timberlake hit up the premiere for his movie Alpha Dog and did not seem to have a care to the world about his recent break up with Cameron "pizza-face" Diaz:



Maybe he saw her without the make-up and came to his senses or thought that Cameron's recent nose-job was a sham, either way, a lot of young girls will be happy at the break-up, though he won't stay single for very long, and I put on serious money that the next chick he picks up will be another blonde - with no ass.

Yesterday, it was widely reported that Whitney's financial woes are so bad, she is selling off her clothes, stage costumes, outfits, shoes. Maybe I should cop myself some of her jumbo all for the sake of saying I own a pair of Whitney shoes. Bobby Brown has been her downfall from day one and unfortunately she divorced his ass ten years too late. Courtesy of Splash images, here is her stack for sale:



This is truly some sad times, when you have to flog the things that served as joyful memoirs to the shining glory you once had when the world was at your feet. Whitney should have did Celebrity Big Brother UK because the money would have been fantastic. They'd have paid her quarter of a million (£250,000), that is almost HALF a million in US dollars, and even if she asked for another £100,000 they'd have paid her because, well, she's Whitney Houston baby. Whitney's ex-love and duet partner Jermaine Jackson (brother of superstar Michael Jackson) went into the house last night. Lil Kim did NOT. I guess they decided she wasn't worth the agro after all and rightly so. Anyway, check out these pictures of Jermaine going into the house last night:



His hair is ridiculous, bringing new meaning to moulded plastic. You know how those hard plastic toys look, the ones where the hair and clothes are actually painted on? That is what he reminds me of. His look is so dated and its obvious he overdid it with the jam pudding. But mad points for the creative pants though, which paid tribute to ALL of his children and family members.

His brother Tito Jackson was also in London last night. He was a judge on BBC singing contest Just The Two of Us.

Check out my baybay, the gorgeous hottie Craig David soaking up the sun on Miami Beach during the New Year period (thank you Fabizzle):

He was sporting a new shaved head and he took a break from recording to frequent all the Miami hotspots which has been highly cherished amongst all of the A-Listers lately. And Z-Listers too. I would drink his dirty bath water. This guy has been my crush ever since Rewind and Fill Me In days. I see this hottie has been in the gym working out, he looks mad sexy and muscular and well, I'll keep my sexual thoughts to myself *LOL* but he's going to look mad hot when he comes out with his new album later this year.

Another R&B celebrity to hit up the Miami hotspots were Kelly Rowland who was seen leaving a Miami night club:



Why this chick always look like she bathed in cooking oil? Chick has been looking really greasy lately.
.
Kelly even hung out with her "sister" Solange Knowles and new-found pal Teairra Mari at the beach in Miami:

Miami was DEFINETELY the hotspot over the New Year period. Someone remind me to head on over there for the new year season of 2008. I am saving up already!

I questioned TWICE if Omarion would have the first no1 album of 2007 and HE HAS! Though it's not usual for an album to sell only 120,000-something copies and get the no1 album. But you have to admit, he picked a good week and I definitely hope sales pick up:



It's not first week sales that matter because Mary J Blige sold big numbers in her first week with The Breakthrough (over 750,000 copies) but took a big drop the week after. However, Mariah's Emancipation of Mimi sold into the 300K's and her album stayed in the top 5 for MONTHS. The billboard charts that is and she ended up surpassing Mary J Blige I believe. To me, it's all about having steady sales week after week that is more important than having massive first week numbers. Anyway, a BIG congratulations to Omarion for not just having the first no1 album of 2007 but the first R&B no1 album of 2007. I downloaded his retail album two weeks ago and its good. Icebox is one of the most mesmerising R&B tracks to hit us recently alongside Cassie's Me & U.

Oh, and I say a big congratulations to Ciara for almost reaching PLATINUM with her new album Ciara: The Evolution. You go girl! Boo-hoo at Bow Wow's album not selling, with his cocky ass. That's what happens when you try and talk down the big dawgs.

Katharine McPhee's self titled debut album is really shaping up to be a decent album. I have heard a couple of full length tracks. Just a couple of weeks ago I posted the songs Lost and Dangerous which will feature on the album and now her single Over It is up for download and a 4-track album sampler (thanks Booskee).


Over It [DOWNLOAD]
4-track album sampler [DOWNLOAD]

I don't like to comment on album samplers because they give a poor perception as to what the album really sounds like but judging by this one, the album sounds good to me SO FAR. Last year, we had soooo many American Idol contestants releasing albums, from the likes of Mario Vasquez, last years American Idol winner Taylor Hicks, the immensely annoying Kelly Picker, Chris Daughtry, season 3 American Idol winner Fantasia Barrino and season 2 American Idol winner Ruben Studdard. Season 1 American Idol winner Kelly Clarkson will be dropping a new album this year as will last years American Idol contestant Paris Bennett. But I think the timing of Katharine's album is pretty smart considering that American Idol will be coming back in mid-January.

Dom has sent me this latest buzz track from Ashanti called My Number Babe. Check it out:


My Number Babe [DOWNLOAD]

The song is wack to me. It's not even R&B, but some 80's retro mess. I hope this isn't the type of sound she will be inflicting on us when the new album drops.

Stay tuned.

0 Comments: