RIHANNA'S ALLURE FEATURE: BEHIND THE SCENE PICTURES + INTERVIEW SNIPPETS INSIDE....

Rihanna did a photoshoot and interview for the January 2008 issue of Allure magazine. Check it out:


[CLICK ON IMAGE FOR LARGER VIEW]

She said that she was picked on when she was younger all because she was light-skinned (the actual quotes are after the cut). Whilst I DO take pity on her suffering, I wonder if she realises that the kids picking on her were only doing so because they secretly desired her features (her fair skin, hair and green eyes, etc) and not necessarily because they considered her an outcast. Bear in mind that those features are considered positive attributes. Look at today's standard of beauty, not just in the mainstream but black media have also latched onto it as well. Those thoughts and ideas are hypodermically injected into the child from a very young age so they grow up feeling inferior to their light-skinned counterparts. It's sad but true. But I also admire her for defying the record label's orders by not conforming to an image which is considered ideal or appropriately appealing to a mass audience even if her music speaks otherwise.

BEHIND THE SCENES:









The Barbados babe shot the cover at New York City's Lux Studio with Robin Thicke's CD, The Evolution of Robin Thicke, playing in the background.

On her so-called fling with Josh Hartnett: "I went to [the club] Pink Elephant, and he came by. All of a sudden, the next day I'm seeing that we were kissing and hugging up each other. You can't even go out with a friend who's a celebrity and have a good time without people making shit up…well, at least he's good-looking, right?"

On regularly clearing up American misconceptions about Barbados: "I can't get upset. They just don't know. (Barbadians speak English, have roads, and use indoor toilets.)"

On chopping her hair off into a precise bob and dying it black like Charlize Theron in Aeon Flux: "My friends still live in Barbados, and they let me know that everyone asks for the 'Rihanna haircut.'"

On being teased growing up for having paler skin than her peers: "I was cultured in a very 'black' way. But when I got to school I'm being called 'white'...they would look at me, and they would curse me out. I didn't understand."

On beauty being in the eye of the beholder: "While in America beautiful is skinny, in Barbados it's thick-girls with huge butts and nice curves."

0 Comments: