JILL SCOTT: THE REAL THING: WORDS & SOUNDS VOL 3 [ALBUM REVIEW]....

Jill Scott's album was quite an opener. It took me by surprise in fact because I didn't think I'd like it as much as I did. It's really authentic. An extremely soulful album that's pretty gratifying and I'm not even that big on neo-soul. The Real Thing has throbbing beats with the sounds of the electronic guitar to give it added effect. I love the instrumentals in that song. Hate On Me is one of my favourite tracks on the album because it's strictly old-skool. The beat is crazy. Hate On Me expresses a woman's pain and frustration that nothing she does to exemplify her love ever seems to satisfy her other half. As if displaying affection of love has become somewhat of a type of forbidden feat. And in most circumstances, a man that acts this way is doing so because he has some type of guilty conscience and can't stand that his woman is being so warm-hearted as deep down, he knows he doesn't deserve it.

Celibacy Blues has a jazz-like bluesy resonance. I like it mainly because I love music of a bluesy nature. The slower tempo music is airy but pleasant and you have your sexual innuendo's here and there. Divorce has definitely turned Jill into a freak *lol* My standout tracks on the album are The Real Thing, Hate On Me, Crown Royal, Whenever You're Around, Celibacy Blues, All I and Wanna Be Loved. It's not a contemporary album and it's a lot less artificial than many of the R&B albums that are out today for reasons VERY obvious. The same can be said for Chrisette Michele, though I did enjoy her CD just a little bit more. This album does cater to the older listener but it's not generic and offers nothing more than just authentic old-skool Soul which can be applauded for. Jill Scott's album drops next week Tuesday (25th September).


Rating: 4/5

0 Comments: