ALBUM REVIEW: I AM - CHRISETTE MICHELE



Chrisette Michele's new offering is a breath of fresh air. Check out my latest album review....

After listening to Chrisette Michele's latest new album I Am, I've come to the realisation that superlative old-skool music is not out of sync as I had imagined. With her rich jazzy vocals reminiscent to that of Billy Holiday, I Am is a unified blend of soul, R&B, jazz and blues.
Chrisette is really refreshing because not only is she a superb singer, but she writes her own music and plays the piano. I really liked the old-skool bluesy nature of Like A Dream and the piano-laid but very soulful Work It Out. A lot of artists have tried to incorporate the previous sounds of an older music era but haven't done so successfully. Maybe with the exception of Amy Winehouse but Amerie, not so much. Other stand outs include R&B anthems Good Girl, Be OK which features collaborator and Black-Eyed Peas member Will.I.am, Mr Radio and Let's Rock. Her ballads are powerfully-sung and nicely written. In fact, I found myself enjoying the slow-tempo's more than the faster-paced tracks. Ballads such as If I Have My Way, Your Joy, Golden and Love Is You are celebrations of happiness but most of all, the lyrics are meaningful and deeply expressive.

Chrisette's Def Jam label mate is the hugely successful Rihanna who is currently enjoying phenomenal global victory. As many of you would know, I adore Rihanna and would somewhat consider myself a fan (not of her vocals of course but of her cleverly put together edginess, savvy-production and latest new reinvention). However, musicians like Chrisette Michele are the REAL artists that deserve to be plugged more than an artist who have lacking vocals but compensate for it with good looks and catchy music (Rihanna) or fledging but fierce choreography (Ciara) or just, well, hype (Beyonce). With Chrisette, there is no gimmick, no compensation for anything. Just sheer talent - all the way. This is her first debut album and one to be extremely proud of. In my opinion, this talented 25-year-old is like the black Norah Jones with much more edge and attitude.


See comments for your taster and tell me what you think of this beautiful album. Be sure to pick it up TOMORROW!

Labels: CHRISETTE MICHELE

0 Comments: