JAGGED EDGE: BABY MAKIN' PROJECT [ALBUM REVIEW]....

Baby Makin' Project leaked earlier this week. Jermaine Dupri, the man that got the four-piece group started, was on hand to contribute towards this new latest offering. Apparently, it is their first ever record on their own label, the Def Jam-affiliated 581 Musiz Group. I knew this was going to be a decent album because I listened to the clips a while back. The album opens up with the lead single Put A Little Umph In It. Ashanti's vocals DO appear on the album cut even though they splice her out in the video version.

All the songs have a similar feel and early 90's new jack swing backdrop to them that I can't really distinguish between the music. You can definitely get into the momentum of passion as it has that essence. But it's not the first CD I'd choose to get down with MY man. Plus, it's not just your average contemporary R&B album. Everything is pretty much slow tempo and a couple of mid-tempo jams here and there. It totally sucks that there's only 10 songs on the album. As expected, the harmonies are great. I just think they played it a little too safe with this album and could have ventured a little more with their sound. If I want to listen to a baby makin' album I can just put in some
Donell Jones or hell, even Maxwell. I've heard so many albums like this but better. Baby Makin' Project is scheduled for a 25th September release.

Rating: 3/5

0 Comments: